Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Oils


Well, it's on to the unconquered medium. Or, to quote the lovely lady at the framing shop, Ms. Ars Gratia Artis, "tourists buy oils". So I'm playing with oil.



This is my first oil. It sat a while awaiting a face for the yoga girl, which it just got this morning. She's probably done now. She looks better in person than she does photographed here. I'll reserve the right to substitute a better photo later.

The tobacco barn below is rather the opposite. It looks better here than in real life. I had just blocked out what should be the major color fields, intending to finish it with more and realistic detail. I like it as just a graphic splash as it is here. It doesn't work in real life, though, because empty canvas doesn't look the same as, say, empty watercolor paper. It just looks unpainted. I'm not sure where this one is going.

No comments: